How to Build a Honda Engine
In order to learn how to build a Honda engine you will first need to have some basic mechanical knowledge. Fortunately, once you have this knowledge, you won’t need to have a lot of money in order to build a Honda engine.
To build a Honda engine you will need:
- Torque wrench
- Digital calipers
- Ring compressor
- Ring installer
- Valve spring compressing tool
- Pistons and rings
- Take the exhaust and the intake manifold off of the Honda engine.
- Take off the belts and its accessories (i.e. the power steering pump, alternator and air compressor).
- Take the crankshaft pulley off of the Honda engine.
- Take out the spark plugs, the valve cover and the timing belt covers out of your Honda engine.
- Take off the timing belt. Don’t turn the Honda engine crank or camshaft sprockets when you have the belt off because you don’t want the valves to hit the pistons.
- Loosen the camshafts’ bolts and take them out. Make sure to do the outside bolts first, working inwards so that you don’t warp the cam. Keep all of the cam caps in the correct order and keep an eye out for any wear. This will help you know whether or not to purchase a new head.
- Take a look at the head’s lands and the place where the cams sit on the caps. You want to make sure that there are no grooves, scoring or discoloration.
- Replace the caps on the cams but only loosely replace the bolts. When doing so make sure that there are no grooves and that the bearing’s surface is visible. If they are there and your fingernail can fit into them, then they need replaced.
- Measure the exhaust and intake. They should be .02 thousands of an inch.
- Take the head off by working from the outside of your Honda engine inwards.
- Pour water over the intake ports in the head. Look for leaks in the valves. Make sure to also do this with the exhaust.
- Take off the valves and look for excessive wear. There shouldn’t be any cracks. Instead, the valves should be perfectly round. You also don’t want any side-to-side movement since this means that the guides are bad.
- Take out the pistons and replace the connecting rod caps.
- Install your crankshaft and bearings.
- Install the pistons and the rings.
- Prime the oil pump. Now install the oil pump and the oil pan.
- Install the head and the torque.
- Install the water pump and idler pulley.
- Install the timing belt and make sure that the marks on it line up correctly.
- Install the timing belt covers, crankshaft pulley and accessory belts.
- Install the intake and exhaust manifolds.
- Install the accessories that belong within your Honda engine in the opposite way that they were taken out.
Once you have taken the time to build a Honda engine, you will be proud of your work. Take it out and show it off to all of your friends.