If you know how to build a hot tub cover, not only can you save money, but you can also display some of your own creativity and personality. Hot tub covers offer the benefit of protecting the water inside the hot tub from the elements outside that may contaminate the water, causing you to spend money you may not have planned to on chemicals to clean the water. These covers may also add a safety feature that prevents people from falling into the hot tub if it is located at ground level. Using the materials and steps here, you will be making a very affordable and sufficient cover.
- Enough treated plywood to cover the hot tub (either one or two large sheets)
- Circular saw
- Safety glasses
- Tape measure
- Chalk line
- Large sheet of vinyl
- Staple gun
- 2 hinges
- Screw gun
Take measurements. There are a couple of ways that you can do this. You can either measure the dimensions of the sop of the hot tub itself, or you can place the plywood on top of the hot tub and literally trace around the plywood along the edges of the hot tub. Either way, Make sure that there are two equal sides to the plywood you will be using.
- To use the tracing method, lay the plywood so that the top of the hot tub is completely covered. Measure and mark the middle of the hot tub on the plywood. Lay the vinyl on top of the plywood side that has the measurements. Mark all four sides of the vinyl so that there is an excess of vinyl past the plywood on all sides. This excess should be about 4 inches.
Make the cuts. This hot tub cover is going to be one that opens at the halfway point or can be removed completely. Covers that open at the halfway point allow you to use the hot tub without actually removing the cover. Cut the plywood so that the cut follows the lines that you measured.
- Then, cut the plywood across the middle so that you are cutting across the thinnest part. Be sure to wear your safety glasses as you make your hot tub cover.
- Add the hinges. The hinges should have come with screws. Use these screws to attach the hinges to the sides of the hot tub cover that you created when cutting the plywood in half. You are going to be putting the plywood back just as it was, with hinges holding it together.
Add the vinyl. Once the hinges are attached to the plywood, allowing your hot tub cover to open at the halfway point, lay the vinyl across the entire cover.
- Wrap the edge of the vinyl so that it covers the sides of the plywood all the way around the cover. Attach the vinyl by stapling the edges on the bottom of the cover, going all the way around the hot tub cover. Place on top of the hot tub and you're done.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.