If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive fencing option, you may want to explore how to build a jackleg fence. A jackleg fence is not an option for keeping small critters or children in or out; however, it is the perfect choice for livestock or just as a property divider. A jackleg fence has a rustic look and blends naturally into rural areas. One of the nicest things about a jackleg fence is that the cuts do not have to be exact or perfect and there are no holes to dig.
To build a jackleg fence, you will need:
- Nails or screws
- Tape measure
- Friends (1 is good but more is better)
- Constructing the posts. Jackleg fences do not have posts that are anchored or buried in the ground. They are constructed in the shape of an “X” and the weight of the rails holds them into place. Build a few posts to get started. The height is determined by your needs.
- Erecting the posts. Have your friends or helpers hold the posts while you attach the top rail. Once the top rail is attached, the posts should stand without being held.
- Attaching the rails. Once the top rail is in place, continue down the post attaching the rails on both sides of the fence.
- Finishing the fence. Continue along your fence line erecting one post at a time and then attaching the fence rails. After the initial section of fence is constructed, the rest can easily be finished by two people.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
25 Rules of Style Every Man Should Follow
Wear by them.