How To Build Luges
The Luge has made an Olympic debut in 1964 and since then, many have been interested on how to build luges. It is fun to ride in a luge and more people want to take the fun at home and build their own luges. You can learn how to build luges at home from these simple steps.
You will need:
- Hand saw
- Foot peg
- Soft carpet
- Screw driver
- Skateboard wheels
- Measuring tape
- Draw the design of the luge. This is essential to make sure that the design to build luges is feasible. It would also make sure that you get all the proper dimensions of the size of the luge.
- Cut the wood into three sections. Begin by cutting the 2 x 4 wood by three sections. These sections will stand by the three main parts of the luge – head, leg and torso sections. The measurements should be at least two inches longer than your measured body sections – head, torso, and legs.
- Bolt these three sections. Bolt the head and torso sections together first. Use two bolts for this to make sure it is more secure. Then, bolt the attached portions to the third section or the torso section. This is the essential skeleton to build luges.
- Attach the skateboard trucks to the rear and to the front of the luge. Now, this means being able to understand which should go in the rear or the front. These trucks are usually just below the would-be headrest for the rear trucks and, the front ones would be just below the hand holds just in between the torso and leg sections.
- Attach the foot pegs. The foot pegs naturally goes by the end part of the luge. It would be much easier to measure this where your legs are comfortably out of your field of vision while lying. Drill holes where a piece of straight metal can fit in snugly, a foot would suffice for both ends.
- Attach a comfortable seat. You can piece together a strong but light piece of plywood and a soft carpet. The carpet can be attached using a super glue. Usually a bolt or two to the torso section can do the trick for the seat. In some designs, the hand holds can be placed within the seat since it would be most comfortable to place hand in the area to control the movement while keeping less wind resistance.
- Attach the skateboard wheels. This is quite simple since the trucks are already in place. Use the screwdrivers for attaching the wheels. The most recommended are wheels that have 83 mm diameter. It is best to check out trusted brands for this since the wheels are essential for the safety to build luge.
- Double check on all the bolts and screws. Once you are done building the luge, you should re-check all the bolts and screws to make sure that the luge is well secured. You may also opt to paint the luge.