How To Build A Model Boat Hull
Learning how to build a model boat hull is not too hard, but you will need to know how to work with tools and wood to begin. Only a few supplies are needed to begin, but you should take time and work carefully when constructing your model boat. The following is some advice on how to build a model boat hull.
To build a model boat hull, you will need:
- Four pieces of hardwood, one-and-a-half inches thick (each)
- A jigsaw
- A drill with a paddle drill bit
- Wood glue
- An electric sander
- First, buy everything that you will need. The supplies should be available at any home improvement or construction supply store.
- Next, cut out ovals from the wood that are shaped like the hull at different heights. The first should be small and ovular, the next should be about one-and-one-half inch longer, and an inch wider, and have the same boat-hull shape. The next should be one-and-a-half inches longer and an inch wider, and the final oval should be the same amount larger than the third. These will be glued together and sanded down to make the hull.
- Cut out hollow spaces in the top two (the largest) ovals. Drill a hole in each with the paddle drill bit, and saw out the interior, so that two rings, each about two inches thick (on the sides) result.
- Glue, from smallest to largest (bottom to top) the ovals together. The top two should be hollowed out. You should now have a hull that looks like it is made from building blocks.
- Sand the hull with the electric sander. Make it smooth, so that the vertical sides of the rings are gone. Take your time, and be sure not to sand too deep.
- Using sandpaper, sand out any bumps or imperfections. The model boat hull is now done, and you may build the deck or other decorations, or paint the hull.
Learning how to build a model boat hull is fairly easy if you know how to use tools and work with wood. Take your time, and eventually a beautiful hull for your model boat will result from your work.