How To Build Model Boat Hulls
Learning how to build model boat hulls is not too hard for those who know how to use tools correctly. You will also need to have access to certain tools and supplies to begin, but once you are finished, a nice-looking model boat hull will result. Use the following advice to build yourself some model boat hulls.
To build model boat hulls, you will need:
- Five pieces of wood, at least one inch thick and large enough to fit the length and width of the hull
- A table saw or electric hand saw
- A jig saw
- A drill with a one-inch paddle drill bit
- Wood glue
- Wood clamps
- An electric sander
- Wood finish
- First, buy all of the materials that you will need for your model boat hull. They can be found at any home improvement or construction supply store.
- Next, on the pieces of wood, trace oval-like rings, which will be cut out and stacked to assemble the hull. Start with a small ring, which will represent the bottom of the boat, and then make each of the next cuts slightly larger so that the fifth ring is the size of the top of the model boat's hull.
- Cut these oval-like hull rings from the pieces of wood. In the largest three rings, drill a hole with the paddle drill bit. Then, using a jigsaw, cut out the middle space, so that the sides of each of these three rings are large enough to overlap the ring that is one size smaller, and/or one size larger. All five rings will be glued together, stacked from smallest to largest, so do not cut too much space out of the rings, which would make it so that a larger ring will slip over the smaller ones when stacked.
- Glue the hull rings together, from smallest to largest. This will create a hull with staircase-like sides (as there is no slant, but only the sides of the rings, which are vertical at this point). Allow the glue to dry, using clamps to keep the rings tightly pressed together.
- Once dry, hold the hull up to an electric sander. Sand it down so that the sides are smooth and slanted, and the vertical edges of the wood rings are gone. Use sandpaper on the entire hull then, to make it very smooth and remove any irregularities. Coat the hull with wood finish or varnish, and you have a nicely crafted wooden model boat hull.
Building model boat hulls is not too hard, but one should go slowly and carefully to make the prettiest boat possible. Take your time, and use finesse, and you can have a beautiful model boat hull when you are done.