Knowing how to build an Olympic weight tree can save money and fingers. It’s really not a difficult task and it will be nice to have a place to stack and store the Olympic weight plates instead of on the ground. Everything needed to build an Olympic weight tree can be found at a local hardware store and you may already have some of these materials. .
Materials list and tools:
- One wooden 4” by 4” board (42 inches or longer.)
- Two wooden 2 by 4’s 2 feet in length
- 2 iron 3/4 inch pipes (3 feet each)
- Drill with a ¾ inch wood drill bit.
- Six dry wall screws (3 inches)
- One iron 3/4 inch pipe (8 inches)
- Tape measure
- Adhesive caulk.
- Build the base of your Olympic weight tree. Place both 2 by 4 inch boards flat on the floor next to each other. Stand the 4 by 4 on top of the 2 by 4’s as a post. Position the 4 by 4 directly in the center of the 2 by 4’s. Mark this spot, and flip the 2 by 4’s over.
- Attach the 4 by 4 to the 2 by 4 base. Stand up the 4 by 4 and place (balance) the 2 by 4’s on top of the post in the center. Using the drywall screws, drill them into the base so they attach the 4 by 4 to the 2 by 4’s centered. This will also help to hold the 2 by 4’s together. Place the base upright.
- Drill holes into the post. Drill two holes into the post using the ¾ inch drill bit. The holes should be in the same direction as the base and should be about fourteen inches from the bottom and 31 inches from the bottom. Test these dimensions with the weights you currently own for accuracy.
- Attach the iron pipes. Insert the two ¾ inch pipes through the holes and center them. Use an adhesive caulk to secure them in place.
- Adding an extra pipe for smaller weights. Using the ¾ inch drill bit, drill a hole into either side of the base. Place the remaining iron bar into this hole and secure with adhesive caulk. This last post can be used for lighter free-weights.
- Allow the adhesive caulk to dry before proceeding with the next steps. It can be frustrating to have these move and break free of the adhesive.
- Avoid using PVC pipe to make a weight tree for larger plates; they may not be durable enough to hold heavier plates like 35 pound or 45 pounds.
You now know how to build an Olympic weight tree. If you’re a handyman you can customize this Olympic weight tree by adding another 4 by 4, miter cut each end so that you can stand them up on the base in a triangle. This can add extra balance for the stand if desired.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.