Need to know how to build a platform bed? Platforms beds are said to be very good on your back. They have become popular over the years and come in all different shapes, sizes and designs. What most people do not know is that they do not have to dish out hundreds of dollars for a platform bed. Simply learn how to build a platform bed on your own with the steps listed below.
To build a platform bed, you will need:
- Paper for sketching
- Measuring tape
- A wood Saw or power saw
- A screwdriver, power screwdriver, power drill with screw driver bit or hammer for nails
- Stain or wood sealant
- A carpenter's square
- Sawhorses, a workbench or another support surface
- Screws, nails and/or hinges
- Decide on platform features. You will have to decide whether or not you will be using a headboard or footboard and whether you want to have a rim around the edge of the mattress. All these features have to be thought about beforehand so you will be prepared to build your platform bed.
- Decide what size you would like your platform bed to be. Depending on the size of your mattress, you will determine what size your platform bed is going to be. Measure the length and width of your mattress, adding four inches to the length. Now determine the height of the bed, including the mattress. You will have to find the height of the platform by subtracting the thickness of the mattress from the total height. Be sure to consider the size of your headboard or footboard if you are using them.
- Decide on your materials. A good option for plywood is 3/4 inch because of its cost and flexibility. Some prefer particle board because it is very inexpensive, but it tends to be stiffer. Speak to a hardware associate for his opinion on materials.
- Cut your material or have it cut at the store that it was purchased at. Subtract the thickness of the top surface material from the desired height of your platform. The height of the two side supports from the floor will be your resulting measurement. The length of the side supports should equal the measurement for the length of your platform bed.
- Stain or seal the wood. Before you assemble the platform bed it is best to stain or seal your wood. This will be difficult to do after assembly due to some areas being too hard to reach. You can go back over any area with a cloth coated with stain or sealant.
- Attach the headboard and footboard. This is, of course, if you are using either or both. Use two sets of L-brackets with each attachment to prevent shifting. Shifting could cause damage to your headboard or footboard. Make sure you follow the directions listed on your purchased plan if you have one.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.