A pool deck can beautify your yard, but before you get started, you will need to know how to build a pool deck. This isn’t something that you should be intimidated by though. It is relatively easy to build a pool deck.
To build a pool deck you will need:
- Wood (2×4, 2×6, 4×4 and 5×6)
- 2 x 6 inch joists
- Lag bolts
- Tape measure
- A level
- A shovel
- A circular saw
- A hammer
- Deck screws
- Measure the length of your pool. Multiply this by the number of sides that you want your pool deck to cover. You will need three 4×4 inch posts to cover two sides.
- Measure the height of your pool wall then add two feet. Cut the 4×4 posts to this height.
- Dig a two foot, two inch deep hole every eight feet. This should be two inches from the pool’s wall. Place a 4×4 inch post in each hole. Make sure that it is at least two inches below the top of the pool and level then fill the hole with gravel. Once the pole can stand by itself, put cement in the hole. Allow to cure for 48 hours.
- Measure the top frame and support for your deck. Measure from the first pole to the outside post that is in a direct line from the first post. Do this with all of your poles making sure to write down all of your measurements. Now do the same with the outside of the posts.
- Cut 2×6 boards to form the outside frame. Screw them into the outside of your posts. These will start at the very outside of your first post and end at the center of your next post. Continue this the entire length of your deck making any necessary adjustments along the way.
- Use thick wood screws to screw the boards into the posts so that your 2-inch side is level with the top of the posts and the 6-inch side runs the length of the posts.
- Measure your posts. Mark a cut line on their tops. If you are using a pool deck rail, make sure to mark them at the rail’s height. Cut these posts with a saw.
- Dig 4-inch postholes for your supporting 4×4 hosts. Mix concrete to put around them. Brace them with 2×4 boards to ensure they stand upright.
- Create the floor joists for your pool deck out of 2×6 boards. Run a board from the second post in to the corresponding outside post. Now four inches down run another board on the opposite side. Use heavy-duty wood screws to screw these boards into the posts.
- Add steps for your pool deck. Attach the original pool ladder to your deck’s frame.
- Create the decking out of 2×4 boards. Place these boards on the top of your frame starting at the outside post that is closest to the pool and working your way out to the outside posts. Once all of the boards are properly cut, screw them into your framework.
- Build a railing for the outside of your pool deck. Use heavy-duty wood screws to attach the 2×4 boards to the 4×4 posts. Rail posts should be four feet above the deck’s floor. Screw the 2×4 boards along the rail supports.
- Paint or stain your pool deck. Allow this to dry then add additional coats as needed. You may need three or four coats of stain depending upon how well the wood soaks it up.
These are the primary steps that you will need to take in order to build your pool deck. You may want to add a railing, benches or some planters. In order to do that though you will need to take additional building steps.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
Now Fat and Scruffy, Mark-Paul Gosselaar Tells Us All About ...
The man formerly known as Zack Morris is hairier, heftier and playing a Major League catcher in the new FOX show.