How To Build A Radio
Learning how to build a simple radio does require some skills, but it can be done by anyone who is willing to get the right supplies and put in the time and effort to build it. Now, lets get down to business.
In order to build your own radio you will need to get the following supplies.
1 Spool of 16 Gauge Magnet wire
Two sets of alligator leads with clips
- One diode (IN34A or germanium)
One round stick - 1" by 1" by 6"
- Electrical tape
- Wire cutter
A wood board roughly two square feet
- An audio jack adaptor
Now that we have the tools lets take a look at how you will build the radio. Just follow these steps.
- Wrap the magnet wire around the stick. Leave half an inch of each end of the stick uncovered. Leave a six inch tail after the wrap then cut the wire. Be sure to wrap tightly. Tape the ends down with the electrical tape to keep it in place.
- Tape the stick to the board. Be careful not to cover the coils. The strip a half inch of space off of each side of the wire.
- Strip the audio jack wire. Splice the diode to one stripped end of the coil. Then connect with the alligator clip.
- Connect the non-diode wire to the opposite side. Splice it.
- Run the other end of the clip to a ground. This can be anything that is not a power source or inside the case.
- Allow the tail of wire to hang out. Connect your second alligator clip.