How To Build Rustic Furniture
Learning how to build rustic furniture is a great home project that will add to the overall ambiance of your house. Any exotic looking furniture that actually exhibits the grain and the knobby unevenness of wood can be called rustic, and in certain homes, such as log homes, it is very pretty when it decorates the house. Following is some information on learning how to build rustic furniture at home.
How to Build Rustic Furniture: Materials Needed
- Several pieces of treated lumber
- Two wide pieces of hardwood for sitting space and back, same color or type of wood as the lumber
- Hammer or drill
- Nails or screws
- Powered saw
How to Build Rustic Furniture:
- First, buy all of the materials that you will need. The materials can be purchased at home improvement or construction supply companies, or ordered from building supply catalogs.
- Next, decide upon the dimensions of the chair or bench that you are going to construct. It should have wide sides, a place to sit that is at least eighteen inches, a back, and legs.
- Cut two pieces of lumber to the size of the width, and two to the size of the length (the sitting space). Then, construct a rectangular frame, by nailing or screwing these four sides together. Nail or screw the hardwood piece, cut to size, on top of this frame.
- Cut four pieces of lumber to the length of the legs. Nail or screw these (with diagonally installed nails or screws) to the bottom four corners of the frame. Now, you should have a bench or chair, with a sitting space, and four legs. Sit on it to make sure that it is sturdy.
- Construct a back. Cut one piece to the width of the piece of rustic furniture, and two pieces of lumber to the length that you want the back to be. Build the back frame onto the bench or chair. Nail the two pieces that represent the height to the back edge of the sitting places, and nail the piece that represents the width on top and between those. Then, cut the other hardwood piece to the dimensions of the chair or bench back, and nail or screw it on to the back of the frame. You should now have four legs supporting a sitting space with a back, for a rustic chair or bench.
- Sand the entire piece down. Apply a nice looking wood varnish, and use your furniture!
Learning how to build rustic furniture at home requires your knowing how to use shop tools and work with wood well. Take your time, and you can have a beautiful chair or bench with a rustic feel for your living space.