Sailing canoes are fast and lightweight, providing great sailing opportunities and learning how to build a sailing canoe can be rewarding and challenging. Typically, canoes have a very shallow draft and allows exploration of shallow waters and creeks. A simple sailing rig can be constructed that will allow the canoe to quickly be converted from paddle to sail power.
Things you'll need:
- Drill and drill bits
- Sabre saw
- Galvanized or stainless steel screws and U-bolts
- Various sized wood blocks
- Marine adhesive
- One-fourth inch plywood
- Screwdrivers and adjustable wrench
- Salvaged sailboat mast or plastic pipe
- Electric motor mount for canoe
- Determine where the mast should be located on the canoe. The mast should be towards the bow of the canoe about two-thirds of the way forward. On an eighteen feet canoe, the mast should be twelve feet forward of the stern.
- Attach the mast to the canoe. Glue and fasten a flat plank across the rails of the canoe, spanning the location of the mast. Drill a hole the same size as the mast through the board, then locate and fasten a pre-drilled block directly below to receive the foot of the mast. The mast can be made out of wood, plastic pipe or metal tubing. Salvaging a mast from an old sailboat will work, too.
- Install leeboards and a rudder. Leeboards serve as a keel to keep the boat going in a straight line. Attach a section of pipe or heavy wooden dowel to the rails of the canoe with U-bolts. The U-bolts will clamp the section of pipe to the canoe rail while allowing the rail to rotate so the leeboards can be raised and lowered. Attach a paddle-shaped board to each end of the pipe, making sure the leeboards extend below the waterline. Next, use an electric motor mount made for canoes to make a rudder. Use a section of pipe that will fit into the motor mount and through bolt a plywood rudder blade to the end.
With a simple sail the canoe will be ready to sail but be cautious; canoes can capsize easily under the strain of a sail rig. The addition of pontoon outriggers may be necessary to stabilize the craft.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
As Boogie Nights Turns 20, Here’s What You Didn’t Kno...
Fun facts about Paul Thomas Anderson, Dirk Diggler, Rollergirl and more.
19 Men’s Grooming Gaffes That Totally Turn Women Off
And what to do about them.