Rather than purchasing a pre-made subwoofer box, which can be costly, learning how to build a sealed subwoofer box at home can save a great deal of money and allow you to customize the box to fit your needs and wants. Building a sealed subwoofer box requires a bit of woodworking skills, a few tools and a lot of planning.
To build a sealed subwoofer box, you will need:
- Measuring tape
- Pen and paper
- 3/4-inch medium-density fiberboard (MDF)
- Table saw or circular saw
- Drill with drill bits and screwdriver bits
- Speaker terminal
- Wood glue
- Two-inch drywall screws
- Silicone caulk and caulking gun
- Spray adhesive
- Utility knife
- 3/4-inch sheet metal screws
Before you build a sealed subwoofer box:
- Determine the dimensions of your sealed subwoofer box. This is perhaps the most-important step of the process as having a subwoofer box that fits in your vehicle as well as is the correct size for your subwoofers is essential to good performance.
- Refer to the documentation for your specific subwoofer to find out the suggested volume of the subwoofer box. This volume will vary based on the shape, size and power of the subwoofers.
- Measure the space the subwoofer will sit in your vehicle with the measuring tape. If possible, select a space large enough to accommodate the suggested volume for your specific subwoofer box.
- Determine the length, height and width of your subwoofer box, as well as the internal volume. Be sure the top or front of the box is large enough to seat your subwoofers. Use the pen and paper to draw a diagram of your subwoofer box.
Process to build a sealed subwoofer box:
- Using the diagram you created in the planning phase, draw out the pieces (four sides, a top and bottom) of the subwoofer box on the 3/4-inch MDF using the pen. Label each piece. Use the table saw or circular saw to cut the pieces apart.
- Plan the openings for the subwoofers. If a template was provided with the subwoofers, use that to mark the openings or the subwoofers on the front or top piece of the subwoofer box. If you do not have a template, Use a compass to draw circles for the openings on the front or top piece.
- Cut the openings for the subwoofers. Use the drill and a drill bit to draw a starter hole for each subwoofer opening. Cut out the rest of the opening using the jigsaw.
- Cut the opening for the speaker terminal. Determine where you'd like to place the speaker terminal, generally on the back or one side of the box, and draw a square or rectangle for that opening. Remove this opening by drilling starter holes and cutting out the opening using the jigsaw. Use the router to route around the edges of the opening, which will allow the speaker terminal to sit flush with the exterior of the box.
- Assemble the sealed subwoofer box, leaving the top or front unassembled. Place a small bead of wood glue on each connecting edge. Use the drill with a screwdriver bit to drive the drywall screws to connect the pieces.
- Seal the subwoofer box. Use the silicone caulk in a caulking gun to seal each of the interior corners.
- Install the top or front panel. Use wood glue and attach the top to the rest of the subwoofer box with the drywall screws.
- Spray the carpet with the spray adhesive and cover all sides of the subwoofer box with the carpet. Use the utility knife to cut holes in the carpet for the subwoofer openings and speaker terminal. Allow the box to sit unattended for 12 to 24 hours to allow the glue to dry and the silicone to cure.
- Install the speaker terminal and subwoofers. Wire the subwoofers to the speaker terminal. Connect the subwoofers and speaker terminal to the box, attaching each with the 3/4-inch sheet meal screws.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
25 Rules of Style Every Man Should Follow
Wear by them.