Learning how to build a shed can help you in many ways around your home, specifically, storing your extra things. Sheds can be successfully built without the need for electrical, heating, or water systems being hooked up to the unit. Learning how to build a shed is a fairly simple process that can be completed by following a few simple steps.
To build a shed, you will need:
- Particle board
- 2×4 boards
- 2×6 boards
- 4×4 boards
- Nine Deck Piers
- Treated Lumber for Flooring
- Cement mix
- Door Hinges
- Roof Tiles
- Measuring Tape
- Shingles (optional)
- First, find out shed limits determined by your local zoning laws. Once the size has been established, make plans to determined the overall size of the shed. Then determine the location in your yard where the shed is to be placed.
- Begin the next step by marking where the four corners of the shed will be on the yard. Using the shovel, dig into the ground to install the shed piers. Once the four corners have been installed, install five more piers; one between each existing pier, and one in the very center of the shed structure.
- Lay one of your 2x4s over the three outer piers and use the level to determine if the piers are level. Once all three rows have been adjusted, make sure that the three separate rows are level and even with each other; adjust accordingly. Once even, pour in cement mix. The cement mix will hold the piers in place and keep the shed from shifting during use or harsh weather. Let the cement dry fully before attaching the shed base.
- In an area away from the where the piers are installed, continue to build the base structure. Cut two of the 2x6s to the length of the shed. You are going to cut two more 2x6s in the width of the shed, minus four inches; two inches for each side that is made up by the 2×6 boards on the end.
- Measure the side boards to figure out how many boards you will need for the inner floor structure. Each board should be placed around 14” apart. Place each of these boards into place, and nail them on.
- Once the cement is dry, you can attach the base structure. This should be done by anchoring several nails into the piers. Make sure the floor structure is lined up evenly with the piers before nailing.
- After the floor is set in place, it is now time to install the floor boards. Using the treated lumber for flooring, cut the flooring to size and lay it over the base structure. Nail the floor boards directly into the flooring structure in several places.
- The next step is to assemble the walls. Cut four of the 4x4s to the height of the shed and secure one each of the outer corners of the shed. Between the 4x4s, on all three of the walls that do not contain the door, nail a 2×4 to the flooring structure.
- Measure the area between the four 4x4s, and nail a 2×4, cut to height, every 14” along the base wall board. This should be repeated along all three walls of the shed. To place the top board, measure two of the 2×4 boards, and cut to the length of the shed, Cut two more to width, and nail all four into place.
- On the wall that contains the door, measure exactly where you want the door to go. Once this has been determined, cut two 2x4s, one for each side, that will run along the floor until they reach the door frame structure. Shed doors are typically 36” in width. Continue constructing this will in the same manner as the other three.
- Install roof trusses the entire length of the shed, placing one at both ends and every 14” apart. The next step requires you to cover the entire exterior of the shed with particle board. Measure each piece before placing so you are able to cut it to size. The main structure is now finished. Vinyl siding and roof shingles are applied from the top to the bottom, in order to establish a leak proof overlay.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…