How To Build A Skateboard Deck From Scratch
Learning how to build a skateboard deck from scratch is a fairly easy process, but you will have to have access to a deck mold. You will also need a basic understanding of tool use and craftsmanship. The following is advice on how to build a skateboard deck from scratch.
- Seven strips of wood veneer
- Wood glue
- Saw (such as table saw or electric hand saw)
- Grip tape
- Buy all of the supplies you will need from any home improvement or construction supply store.
- On each strip of veneer, trace the dimensions of the skateboard deck between 28 and 32 inches in length and seven and nine in width.
- Cut out the traced skateboard shapes from the veneer strips so you have seven thin pieces of wood each shaped like a board deck. Place glue between the sheets and stack them, so you have a flat deck made of seven pieces of veneer with glue between them.
- Before the glue begins to dry, place the deck in the deck mold and allow to dry completely.
- Once dried, remove the skateboard deck from the mold and thoroughly sand its edges to make it smooth. Remove any excess glue or uneven wood.
- Apply grip tape to the top of the homemade deck. If desired, paint the bottom or apply graphics.
Learning how to build a skateboard deck from scratch at home is not too difficult a process. All you need are a few supplies and some of your time. Once it is built, all you have to do is install the trucks and wheels and you can be skating on a homemade board in no time.