How To Build A Small Dog House
Knowing how to build a dog house is easy and essential if you have a small dog. It helps keep it cool in the summer and snug in the winter, and can easily be built in a single afternoon.
To build a dog house, you will need
- 2 x 4's
- Plywood Sheets
- Hammer and Nails
- Tar Paper
- Start by choosing a location in your backyard for the dog house. The location you choose should get adequate shade, and should be close to plants and foliage.
- Choose the dimensions for your dog house. Generally, small dog houses are 3 feet square. Use a saw to cut the 2 x 4's to length before starting on the construction.
- Line four 2 x 4's to form a square. This will be the base of the dog house. Hammer these 2 x 4's so that they stay together. Now you will need to add cross beams - line a 2 by 4 every 6 inches along the base of the dog house, and nail them into place. Ensure that the base is at least 2 inches off the ground, so that rain or snow cannot seep into the dog house.
- Use a saw to cut a plywood sheet the same size as the base. Use nails to hammer this over the base. The plywood you should use should be treated, so that it doesn't disintegrate by insects or the weather.
- Now that the base is ready, you will need to construct the sides. Hammer 2 x 4's perpendicular to the base, along the edges, leaving a space of 6 inches between each beam.
- Repeat step 4 for all four sides of the dog house. This will fortify the walls.
- Hammer another piece of treated plywood over the top layer of the dog house. This will form the roof for the dog house.
- Now use the saw to cut a hole into the front of your dog house. This will be the hole through which your dog will enter the dog house.
- Now that you have constructed your small dog house, you will want to paint it. Choose a bright color that appeals to you, to give the dog house a pleasing, aesthetic quality.
Posted on: Aug. 17, 2010