Knowing how to build storage shelves is useful information. More storage is almost always needed in every home. It's a fairly simple project that can be completed in just one afternoon, even by someone who isn't incredibly handy with tools. These storage shelving units would work in a garage or an unfinished basement, even in an attic.
To build storage shelves, you will need:
- 1 sheet of 4 x 8 foot plywood, that measures 1 1/2 inch thick
- 16 2 x 4's, that are 8 feet long
- 5 pounds of 3 inch deck screws
- Power saw
- Cut the plywood. Using the power saw, cut the sheet of plywood into pieces that measure four feet by sixteen inches (that is six pieces).
- Cut 2 x 4's for the frames. Using the power saw, cut the 2 x 4's into twelve pieces that measure thirteen inches long.
- Cut additional 2 x 4's for the frames. Using the power saw, cut six of the remaining 2 x 4's in half. They should measure slightly less than 48 inches.
- Arrange the frame. Arrange two thirteen inch pieces of 2 x 4 and two 48 inch pieces of 2 x 4 to make a rectangular frame.
- Secure the frame with screws. Join the corners with two deck screws on each corner.
- Repeat. Repeat steps four and five five more times, to make a total of six rectangular frames.
- Top the shelf frame. Place one of the cut plywood pieces on top of a frame.
- Secure the top on each frame. Attach the plywood into place, using deck screws. (Each long side should have at least two screws.)
- Attach standing supports. Using the remaining eight foot 2 x 4's, attach a 2 x 4 to each corner of a shelf.
- Finish. Attach three shelves for each unit.
- This process will provide two storage shelf units, with three storage shelves on each unit.
- The eight foot 2 x 4's that are used as standing support on each storage shelf unit can be shortened to fit your needs.
- If you don't own a power saw, the home improvement store that you purchase your lumber from can cut your wood for you.
- A diagonal brace can be added for each storage shelf to provide additional support.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?