Knowing how to build storage shelves is useful information. More storage is almost always needed in every home. It's a fairly simple project that can be completed in just one afternoon, even by someone who isn't incredibly handy with tools. These storage shelving units would work in a garage or an unfinished basement, even in an attic.
To build storage shelves, you will need:
- 1 sheet of 4 x 8 foot plywood, that measures 1 1/2 inch thick
- 16 2 x 4's, that are 8 feet long
- 5 pounds of 3 inch deck screws
- Power saw
- Cut the plywood. Using the power saw, cut the sheet of plywood into pieces that measure four feet by sixteen inches (that is six pieces).
- Cut 2 x 4's for the frames. Using the power saw, cut the 2 x 4's into twelve pieces that measure thirteen inches long.
- Cut additional 2 x 4's for the frames. Using the power saw, cut six of the remaining 2 x 4's in half. They should measure slightly less than 48 inches.
- Arrange the frame. Arrange two thirteen inch pieces of 2 x 4 and two 48 inch pieces of 2 x 4 to make a rectangular frame.
- Secure the frame with screws. Join the corners with two deck screws on each corner.
- Repeat. Repeat steps four and five five more times, to make a total of six rectangular frames.
- Top the shelf frame. Place one of the cut plywood pieces on top of a frame.
- Secure the top on each frame. Attach the plywood into place, using deck screws. (Each long side should have at least two screws.)
- Attach standing supports. Using the remaining eight foot 2 x 4's, attach a 2 x 4 to each corner of a shelf.
- Finish. Attach three shelves for each unit.
- This process will provide two storage shelf units, with three storage shelves on each unit.
- The eight foot 2 x 4's that are used as standing support on each storage shelf unit can be shortened to fit your needs.
- If you don't own a power saw, the home improvement store that you purchase your lumber from can cut your wood for you.
- A diagonal brace can be added for each storage shelf to provide additional support.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.