Regardless of why you want to learn how to build a surfboard, you are going to need some supplies. You should also know that it will take time to build a surfboard. But with these things on your side, you can learn to build a surfboard exactly like those you see in the surf shops, but for a fraction of the price.
To build a surfboard, you will need:
- A foam blank, which is similar to a finished surfboard
- Polyester surfboard resin
- An MEKP catalyst for the resin
- At least one fin
- A leash plug
- A leash
- Some fiberglass cloth
- Choose a good blank from a good surfboard supply catalog. These come in a variety of sizes and materials. Take your time and make sure that you get one that suits your needs.
- When you have your blank, prepare and apply the resin to it according to the instructions. You will need to mix the surfboard resin with the MEKP (the catalyst that makes the resin turn hard).
- Attach the fins to the surfboard. The way in which this is done will vary depending upon the type of fin that you choose to use on your surfboard. Now you will also want to attach the leash if you want to utilize one.
- Use a planer and a hand saw to shape your surfboard into a design you like. Once shaped, it will be time to glass the surfboard. You need to apply a fiberglass coating. Roll the fiberglass cloth over the board. Use scissors to cut it to the right shape, but with an inch of overlap.
- Mix the resin and MEKP. Apply a thick layer to the blank and then adhere the glass. This will bond them together. Smooth out any bubbles, then walk on your surfboard as it dries.
- Finish the surfboard by sanding it down one more time. Polish it for a finished look.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.