Learning how to build a toy boat from scratch is a project that requires that you know how to use shop tools and have access to certain items. The building process, however, is not too difficult. The following advice will help you to build yourself a toy boat.
To build a toy boat, you will need:
- Five pieces of wood, one inch thick and at least as long and wide as the boat hull
- A table saw or electric hand saw
- An electric sander
- A drill with a paddle drill bit
- A jig saw
- Wood glue
- To build your toy boat, start by buying all of the supplies that you will need. These can generally be obtained from any home improvement or construction supply store.
- Create the toy boat's hull. On one of the pieces of wood, draw a small oval. On the next, trace a slightly larger, pointed oval, and make ovals that are increasingly larger on the next three pieces of wood, so that the last, largest one represents the size of the boat hull at its largest.
- Cut the ovals out from the wood with a power saw. Then, in the three largest ovals, drill a hole with a paddle drill bit. Using the jig saw, cut out the middle space, so that these three hull rings (ovals) are wide enough to overlap the jig saw cut outs of the other hull ovals by at least half an inch. They will all be stacked, glued and sanded down to make a smooth hull. Essentially, the boat will be made of wooden rings that are shaped to the size of the hull from bottom to top, going from small to large, which will be stacked, so that the hull gets increasingly larger with its height.
- Glue all of the ovals together so that the hull gets larger and larger as the bigger hull oval rings are added. Only the top three (the three largest rings) should have their centers cut out. You should now have a boat with a hollow hull and step-like sides. Let it dry.
- Hold the hull up to an electric sander. Sand it down so that it has smooth sides, and the step-like formations of overlapping wooden ovals are gone. Use sandpaper on the whole hull to make it smooth. Coat the wooden toy boat with varnish, and let it dry. If you want, paint it, decorate it or give it a sail.
Learning how to build a toy boat is not too difficult, but those who attempt to make one must understand the process and know how to use tools. When you are finished, a beautifully crafted toy boat will result.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.