Homeowners may want to learn how to build a walk in closet. If you live in an older home, your closet space is limited. Building a walk in closet can be as simple as converting a small bedroom or building a walk in closet in the master bedroom.
To build a walk in closet, you will need:
- Tape measure
- Paint brush
- Paint roller
- If you are building from scratch, you will also need: 2×4 studs, drywall, drywall tape, trowel, joint compound, drywall sander and door
- Preparation. If you are converting a small bedroom to build a walk in closet the preparation is simple. Remove everything from the room and add a fresh coat of bright white paint. If you are building a walk in closet from scratch, you will need to take measurements to figure out the size you are building. Protect the rest of the area from the construction dust and debris.
- Building the frame. You can move on to step four if you are converting a small room to build a walk in closet. Measure the length of the walls you need to build a walk in closet. Cut the top and bottom 2×4 stud to length. Next, measure the height and subtract the thickness of the two 2×4 studs. This is the length you need to cut the studs, too. Attach one stud on each end of the top and bottom stubs to build a square. Place the remaining studs at 16-inch on center to finish the wall. Once the wall is complete, stand it up and nail it into place. Repeat for the remaining walls until the closet framing is done.
- Drywall and paint. Measure the height from floor to ceiling. This is the length you will need to cut the drywall. Once the dry wall is cut, place it against the studs and screw into place. When all the drywall is hung you need to use the drywall tape to tape the seams. After taping the seams you will mud the seams and screw the holes with joint compound. Let the joint compound dry and sand until smooth. Paint the walls and ceiling with a drywall primer. Then, paint with a bright white color.
- Organizers. Once the structure of the walk in closet is complete, it is time to install the organizers. You can purchase custom made organizers or build your own. Organizing modules can also be purchased at your local home improvement stores. The can be made into something as elaborate or as simple as you choose.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.