Here are instructions for how to build a West Coast Chopper kit bike. The aim of the chopper was to take a regular, factory produced motorcycle and stripping it down to make a higher performance and a light weight machine that reflects the individuality of the owner.
Most bike owners take choppers as something that displays gaudy custom built by famous West Coast Chopper builders. By buying a wrecked bike and trying to build it using a chassis kit, it is possible to make a West Coast chopper for much less than a standard bike.
Things you will need to build a West Coast Chopper kit bike:
- Donor bike, wrecked or otherwise
- Chopper chassis and fork
- Custom gas tank, lights and controls, available from the frame supplier
- Basic mechanic's tool set
- Buy a wrecked bike along with a functional power train. Harley-Davidson Sportsters are quite famous, as the transmission and engine are one unit. They are easy to find and not very expensive. These will do well to make a West Coast Chopper kit bike.
- Detach the transmission and engine from the chassis, and rebuild it if required. If your Harley-Davidson Sportster was an 883cc bike, you might want to transform it into a 1200cc bike for enhanced power. The 1200cc has larger cylinders and pistons that produce more power. They are also easily replaceable, in case you need to replace your West Coast Chopper kit bike.
- Find and buy a frame kit bike that appeals to you and the one that suits your engine. You can set aside some money and save it by buying a bare frame and an old fork, rather than purchasing a rolling chassis. Your West Coast Chopper kit bike will definitely shape up with these pieces.
- Detach the brakes, wheels, and other hardware required from the wrecked bike, and fit them on the new chassis. Any parts that were broken in the wrecked bike should be replaced with used parts or the new ones. If you did not buy a chassis that can roll, attach a used fork. You will start to see the West Coast Chopper emerge from your kit bike at this point.
- Install the transmission and engine, controls and gas tank. Attach the seat, lights and the remaining accessories.
- Test the West Coast Chopper kit bike by riding it once to make sure that everything is functioning well. When all the parts are working to your expectations, get the bike painted from a paint shop.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.