Many people interested in self sufficiency wonder how to build a windmill using a car alternator. This is possible and can help save you a ton of money on electricity, however, it is not a very simple task. The following guide will hep you learn how to build a windmill using a car alternator.
To build a windmill using a car alternator, you will need:
- An Alternator with an attached disc
- Measuring tape
- 1/4 inch nuts, bolts, washers, and drill bit
- 25 inches of 5 inch PVC pipe
- 600 grit sandpaper
- Skill saw
- Pop bottle
- Hot glue gun
- Zip ties
- 12 inches by 6 inches of plastic cutting board
- You will need an alternator that is from an older car. The disc face must be mounted on the front of the alternator.
- Drill out the screws on the alternator plate. Drill an additional set of holes that are halfway between the original holes and the axle of the alternator. Make sure the holes are not so close that they could disrupt the functioning of the alternator.
- Cut the PVC pipe in half long ways. Measure about a quarter inch down the pipe on both sides. Use your skill saw to cut from one corner to the other. Try to make the diagonal cut as straight as possible.
At the wide end of the PVC pipe, drill bolt holes for the windmill's PVC pipe blades, which will allow them to attach to the alternator.
- Attach the blades so that they are radial to the central axis of the alternator. Insert the bolts back to front and place a washer on each end of the bolt. Do not tighten too much or you may crack the blades.
Use the sandpaper to sharpen the blades of the windmill.
- Next, you need to create a plastic covering to protect the windmill's car alternator from water. You can do this by cutting a piece of plastic from the soda bottle and attaching it with zip ties.
- Pick up your cutting board and begin shaping it. Draw a line two inches down the six inch edge and draw the line six inches across. Taper the line after the first six inches so that it decreases by two inches per one inch forward. This will create a handle for your windmill, which you can attach to the alternator.
- Stand back and admire your work. You have successfully built a windmill using a car alternator.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!