Knowing how to build a wood laundry hamper will allow you to create a beautifully crafted storage unit for your dirty clothing. A nice wood hamper can cost well over a hundred dollars, so constructing your own will not only fill you with a sense of pride, but it will save you a lot of money. Creating your own wood hamper will also enable you to create multiple hampers for the bathroom, laundry room, and bedrooms in your home.
To build a wood laundry hamper, you will need:
- One-quarter inch plywood
- Half inch plywood
- Finishing nails
- Measuring tape
- Straight edge
- Wood glue
- Two small hinges
1. Begin making the hamper by cutting out the sides of the hamper. Cut two sections of one-quarter inch plywood to twelve inches by thirty inches for the sides of the hamper. Cut two more sections of one-quarter inch plywood to seventeen and a half inches by thirty inches for the front and back. Gently sand any rough edges.
2. Using the half inch plywood, cut out the top and bottom sections. The bottom section will need to be twelve inches by eighteen inches in size. The top will need to be twelve and a half inches by eighteen inches, so that there is a slight lip to lift the lid. Sand any rough edges to produce a clean finished product.
3. Lay one of the hamper sides on a flat surface. Line the inner edges of both thirty inch sides with wood glue, and gently press the thirty inch sides of the front on the wood glue. Gently stand up this section, and nail the front and back section into the side. You will want to hammer a nail in every three inches. Repeat this step with the other wall. You will now have the frame structure of the hamper.
4. Apply wood glue around the perimeter of the bottom section. Gently lay the hamper on its side, and press the bottom section to the base of the frame structure. Nail this base plywood board to the frame of the hamper by placing nails every three inches around the entire perimeter.
5. Attach hinges to the hamper lid. You will want to place these along the edge, three inches in from each back corner. Make sure the corners of the lid are line up with the back corners of the hamper, and attach the hinges to the back wall of the hamper. Open and close the hamper to ensure the hinges work properly.
Tip: Be sure to wipe away any excess wood glue during assembly.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert ...
What Makes Men Attractive to Women
What women want—confidence, a sense of humor and abs.