How To Buy Dress Shoes
Do you need to learn how to buy dress shoes? Buying men's dress shoes can seem like a daunting task, especially if you're a sneakers or boots type of guy. If you don't know what to look for, you might find yourself frustrated, overwhelmed and you may even just give up and buy overpriced shoes that hurt your feet. Read through the tips below to learn how to buy dress shoes that are comfortable, well priced and stylish.
- Consider how often you'll wear the dress shoes. The first thing you should consider when buying men's dress shoes is how often you plan to wear them and what you plan to wear them with. Is this a one time special event (like a wedding) and you'd like shoes to go with a specific suit? Or, are you the type who wants to invest in a great pair of dress shoes that can be worn with different slacks or suits? Pondering this question will help you decide on what style of dress shoes you need and how much to spend on them.
- Select a style. If you need dress shoes for a formal occasion, black shoes are usually the way to go. Lace up dress shoes are usually worn to formal events, though Oxford dress shoes may be more versatile and can be dressed up or down. Loafers are considered to be more of a casual shoe but are sometimes worn with suits.
- Decide on a budget. You can find men's brand name dress shoes for less than $100 by brands like Kenneth Cole, Stacy Adams, Steve Madden and Bostonian. Higher end dress shoes, by designers like Ralph Lauren, Bruno Magli and Allen Edmonds can cost upwards of $300.
- Try on dress shoes. When trying on dress shoes, ask to try on a size above your normal shoe size as well as a size below. You should also remember to wear a pair of dress socks on the day you decide to shop for shoes. Keep in mind that dress shoes may fit differently depending on the style. You may need more toe room in one pair or a wider width in a more narrow style of shoe. Don't be afraid to ask the sales person for help, it's their job!
- Wear your slacks when trying on dress shoes. This way, you'll be able to determine if the styles you're trying on look good with your suit. In general, black dress shoes go well with grey, black or blue suits. If your suit or slacks are brown or tan, look for brown dress shoes.