How To Buy A Heart Rate Monitor
People wanting to know their heart rate during physical activity may benefit from knowing how to buy a heart rate monitor. Heart rate monitors (HRM) are used to track the intensity of an exercise to ensure that a person is meeting their target heart rate. According to the American Heart Association, most people should strive to be between 50 and 85 percent of their maximum heart rate during exercise.
- Determine which type of heart rate monitor to buy. There are monitors that are designed to meet specific goals, such as weight loss, athletes, or general fitness. There are also simple monitors for people who do not need a lot of “high-tech” features.
- Determine how much money you have to buy a heart rate monitor. Monitors can range from as little as $25 to as much as several hundred dollars.
- Plan ahead for your future needs. If you will be using the monitor long-term, look at which features will be useful to you now, as well as in the future. Also select a brand that may be more long lasting.
- Ask others for recommendations. Some people to talk to include your doctor, pharmacist, or friends and family who may already use a heart rate monitor.
- Look at the various heart rate monitors available online or in your local drug store. Using the criteria you determined in steps one through three, as well as recommendations you have received from others, compare each model and choose the one that is best for you.