How To Buy Kayak Life Vests
Are you wondering how to buy kayak life vests? Kayak life vests are a critical piece of equipment needed when kayaking. Purchasing the correct kayak life vest may mean all the difference in the world.
- Offshore life jackets. Purchase an offshore life jacket to provide for the best flotation possible. Make sure to invest in a Type 1 life vest which will, based on your chest measurement, turn an unconscious person to an upright position. This type of kayak vest will feel bulky and may feel uncomfortable.
- Proper Fit. When buying a kayak life vest, a person needs to try the vest on before purchasing it to ensure a snug fit. Make sure the vest allows for movement. When trying the vest on, secure all closures then make sure arms can be moved freely while wearing the vest. Also, make sure the kayak life vest is properly designed for the wearer's weight and has secure closures.
- Padding. Extra back padding will help protect the spine. Look for specific vests that mention this.
- Buy a life vest specifically designed for kayaking. Avoid straps that can get in the way at a critical moment. Invest in a zero ride up life vest.
- Purchase a kayak life vest with pockets. Pockets will allow the wearer to carry necessary items on their body. Look for zipper and hook and loop closures to secure the items you are carrying.
- Purchase a color that will be visible from far off. Colors such as red or orange will allow a person to be seen from a far distance.
Posted on: Jul. 11, 2010