Have you wondered how to buy a slipcover for a sofa? Slipcovers are available in stores or online in stretch, fitted and non-fitted. Non-fitted or adjustable slipcovers (sometimes called furniture throws) are made for irregular shaped sofas or for a casual room. Non-fitted slipcovers may simply be a piece of fabric or fabric plus elasticized ruffle around the bottom of the sofa. To buy a fitted slipcover for a sofa, you will need the sofa measurements. Also determine if your sofa is a tight back (single attached cushion on the back), attached pillow back (two or more attached cushions on the back) or a loose pillow back. Count the number of seat cushions your sofa has to buy the correct slipcover.
What you'll need:
- Tape measure
- Measure the length of the sofa from the outer most point to the outer most point.
- Measure the height of the sofa from the spring to the top of the sofa back.
- Measure the seat area whether single or multiple cushions.
- Measure the side of the sofa for depth.
Measure from floor to the top of the seating area (minus cushions).
- Count the number of back and seat pillows for individual cushion covering. If purchasing a stretch slipcover, make sure the fabric you choose is washable. Shrinkage may render your slipcover useless after a wash.
Use your measurements to buy a slipcover online, by phone or at a store. Department stores carry a great selection of solids and designs, though a wider selection is available online. Pricing is between $24 to $100 for ready made slipcovers. A professional can tailor make a slipcover if you want a certain fabric not available elsewhere. However, pricing will be considerably higher.