How To Buy A Sportbike
First time motorcycle buyers need to know how to buy a sportbike. There are many variables to consider when buying a sportbike, besides looks. Some new riders go right out and buy the first nice looking sportbike they see, but some time thinking about the specifics of what you want can save you time and money in the long run.
- Evaluate how you will use the sportbike. Are you buying a sportbike to be a daily driver to work? Do you only want to use it on the weekends? What gas mileage are you expecting? Do you need to carry additional items on the sportbike for trips?
- If you are looking for a daily driver to provide better fuel economy and save wear and tear on a car, you're probably looking for an entry level model. The smaller engine combined with the lower purchase price benefit those looking to maximize their budget.
- Weekend riders probably want a larger engine sportbike. Make sure you have riding experience before you buy a sportbike with a really large engine. If you don't know how to handle the power you can find yourself in a dangerous situation very quickly.
- Once you have determined the use, you should be ready to search for the sportbike to buy. Determine what your budget will allow and stick to it.
- Look online for places like Craig's list, and local motorcycle dealers. Some local pawn shops may also have sportbikes available. Look at as many as you can before deciding. You may find some sportbikes with very low mileage if you just look around a little.
- Test ride the sportbike, dealers will let you ride a longer distance than most private sellers. If everything feels right, you're ready to make the deal.
- Know how much the sportbike is worth before you go to look at it. Local credit unions are a good place to find the values. Negotiate with the seller and walk away if the price isn't what you want to pay. There are many sportbikes available.
Make sure you take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, to be aware of the safety measures you need to take to stay safe on the road.