How To Buy Used Whitewater Kayaks
By keeping some basic guidelines in mind, you can learn how to buy a used whitewater kayak. Be sure to evaluate your current whitewater rafting ability in order to get the kayak that is right for you.
- Talk to friends, family members, colleagues, and kayak enthusiasts. Tell them that you are interested in buying a used whitewater kayak. Be sure to tell them your skill level, the amount of money you want to spend, and any special requirements that you would like the kayak to have.
- Visit local whitewater kayaking hotspots. Look for kayaking outfitters, and ask if they know of anyone who is interested in selling their whitewater kayak. Sometimes outfitting companies are willing to sell their used kayaks for the right price.
- Once you have finally located a kayak that you are interested in purchasing, bring along a whitewater kayaking expert to examine the kayak. Give them a rundown on the basic features that you would like the kayak to have, and ask that they give you their opinion on the whitewater kayak.
- Test out the used whitewater kayak. Most reputable sellers will be happy to allow you to take the kayak out for a quick spin. Look for any signs of leakage or damage, and determine the maneuverability of the kayak. Evaluate whether or not it is appropriate for your currently skill level.
- Offer an appropriate price for the used whitewater kayak. Most sellers will already have an asking price for the kayak, and if the kayak appears to be in good working order, you should try not to deviate too far away from what the seller is asking. If you try to chisel too much, the seller may reconsider and decide not to sell the kayak after all.
Posted on: Jul. 24, 2010