How To Buy Vintage Cowboy Hats
Need to know how to buy vintage cowboy hats? If you want an amazing vintage cowboy hat, finding out where to get one can be the toughest part of the process. Whether shopping online or checking out local vintage and thrift stores, finding the perfect vintage cowboy hat requires a few tricks to make sure you get what you want. The cowboy hat is more than a protector from the elements. It is a collectible style icon. Whether accessorizing a tank top and jeans or accenting your western wear ensemble, take the following tips into consideration as you’re shopping around.
- Check the cowboy hat's condition. Look for a hat that has no damage from the elements. Traditionally, cowboy hats serve the purpose of protecting the wearer. The fabric, usually felt, should be stain free with a strong form. Avoid going out in the rain with your hat on; it could get damaged. There are also straw options which work well in warmer climates.
- Make sure you have the right size. Your cowboy hat should fit comfortably, not too tight or loose. Wear the brim lower than other hats, about even with your brow line. Your cowboy hat should complement the shape of your face, so be sure to find one that fits you perfectly!
- Take care of your vintage cowboy hat. Use a brush with soft bristles to dust your hat. Never try to blot a stain out, instead use a piece of sponge to try to lift the stain. When in doubt, dry clean.
- Once purchased, properly store your vintage hat. Keep your hat on a stand, not stored on a flat surface. A molded surface will help your hat retain its shape when it’s not on your head.
- Feel your inner cowboy! Yee-haw! You are ready to hit the town. Be playful and smile often and you’ll be sure to wrangle in plenty of compliments.