For people who are quite adept and have the innate traits of a risk-taker, learning how to calculate football odds can be invigoratingly entertaining and profitable. at the same time. American football is a sport that attracts some of the most passionate hordes of bettors in the sporting gambling business. Most people tend to watch the NFL and college football games with great enthusiasm for their favorite teams; and there are also those who elevate this fanaticism to another level by putting their buck where their patronage lies.
To calculate football odds, you will need the following:
- Betting numbers posted on sports books or bookmakers
- A trusty calculator
- A honed gambler’s instinct
- Understand the odds. Using the NFL odds as the basic instructional sample, you will be able to determine whether which team is favored and who is the most likely to lose. In US NFL odds, these are presented as a three digit number (or higher) will always be preceded by the positive or negative sign. Samples of NFL odds are presented as “-170” or “+150”.
- Betting on the negative. The prefix of the odds figure will already be an indication as to how much money is needed to bet for a team. These instructions will use the standard betting amount of $100. If the number is preceded by the negative sign, the number will represent the amount of cash that is required to achieve a $100 win. That is if the team you’re betting on comes out victorious. A “-170” odds line gives us that for a bettor to win $100; $170 should represent the amount of cash you will be betting on a team. Obviously, teams stacked with the negative prefixed odds are the hands-on favorite in a match-up.
- The positive underdog. Such is the counterpart for football odds preceded by the positive sign. For a “+150” odds line, a $100 amount will net the bettor an easy $150 if the team they are betting on wins. Teams lined up with positive prefixed odds are considered as the underdogs in a game. Betting is actually a double edged sword. You can bet on the stronger team but will receive a considerably lower yield when winning while betting on the underdog will incontestably yield the bettor with a bigger payout if the team wins.
- Even odds. More often than not, teams may come into a game dead even. These odds numbers are then prefixed either by “Even” or “Pick”. In this case, placing a $100 wager on a team will yield the bettor a $100 win as well.
- Types of football bets. A bettor is given three options as to how to place their bets in American football: the point spread, the money line or the total. Choosing point spread brings about points handicap rules when betting on a team. A team with an indicated +3 point spread rating should not be defeated in a game by a margin of lower than 3 points for a wager to be considered a winner. In money line betting, it will only depend on the basic result of a match, who wins and who loses to resolve who wins with their bets and who ends up losing money. The total betting option plays on the total points of a game and whether this ends up higher or lower than the totals provided by the bookmaker.
Calculating football odds is quite quick and easy to understand. The real challenge happens when the bettor takes into consideration all of the intangibles of the teams playing, such as: which is peaking at the right time, which has injury problems plaguing the team, which one is playing in their home stadium and at some point you will also have to consider which one plays better in a certain weather condition. There are times that you will also have to go with gut instinct and bet on who you believe will win. What matters is that you should never bet something that which you cannot afford or something that you will end up regretting doing.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…