Once you've made the purchase, you're going to want to know how to camp with a truck topper. It's like having a permanent tent on the back of your car, one that allows you to sleep in the bed of your truck without fear of bugs or animals pestering you in your sleep. You can also use a truck topper for protecting your gear while moving it to the camping location.
To camp with a truck topper, you will need:
- Camping gear
- An air mattress or sleeping mat
- A spring-style curtain rod (optional)
- Extra sheets (optional)
- A tent or shelter for your gear
- Set up your tent or shelter for your gear a few feet from your truck. Place coolers, backpacks, extra shoes and other non-sleeping gear in the tent. Be sure to place your cooler and non-perishable food in a shady area within the tent or shelter. Important items such as maps, electronics and a first aid kit can be placed into the truck cab to ensure they are protected from the elements. Once the bed is inflated, there won't be much space for storage when you camp with a truck topper.
- Place your air mattress or sleeping pad on the floor of the now clean truck bed. Put bedding on the mattress or mat within the truck topper.
- Use spring-style curtain rods to hang extra sheets in front of the windows of the truck topper. This will allow for privacy and block light, and will act as a mosquito screen when the topper doors are opened. Open the tail gate for more air when you choose to camp with a truck topper without ventilation, and hang a sheet in front of the opening for privacy or to keep out pests.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.