You have a few good options to clean up your computer so it runs faster. Some are more effective than others, but all will provide at least some benefit.
To clean your computer so that it runs faster, you will need:
- installation discs for your important software
- (your important docs backed up on an external media source)
- Re-install Windows By far, the most effective way to way to clean up your computer so it runs faster is to format your hard drive and re-install Windows.
- Save Save Save Make sure that you have all of your important documents (pictures, records, movies, etc.) backed up to external media and they you have the installation discs for all of your important software.
- Restart Restart the computer, booting from your Windows installation disc, and follow the on-screen prompts to format your hard drive and install Windows.
- Update After the installation, be sure to run Windows Update to get the latest Service Packs and security patches. Install the software you're going to be using, including anti-virus, productivity software, and drivers, and your computer is just as good – or better – than the day you bought it.
If you don't want to go quite that far, or if you're just looking for a quick fix, try some of the following techniques:
- Delete excess Delete programs and large files that you longer use. The free program WinDirStat lets you quickly see what files are taking up space on your computer and you can delete them from within the program.
- Defragment your hard drive. Use a free program like Smart Defrag rather than Windows' default program. It lets you optimize your drive beyond the traditional defragmenting.
- Run cleanup software. CCleaner and Advanced SystemCare Free are both good freeware programs that automate much of the cleaning process, including registry cleaning, temporary file deletion, and some system streamlining.
- Be sure to run anti-virus software. AVG makes an excellent free anti-virus program that can find and cure the plethora of computer-slowing viruses that plague computers.
These steps to clean out your computer so that it runs faster will take you pretty far, but eventually you'll need to take the drastic step of re-installing Windows or upgrading your equipment. With vigilance and regular cleaning, you can put off these decisions for quite a long time!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …