Have you ever asked yourself, "How can you get the mothball smell out of cedar?" Mothballs have a very distinctive, lingering aroma, but you can get the mothball smell out of cedar with a bit of effort. Cedar trunks, closets and drawers are all pleasant smelling and great for storing clothes and linens, but once permeated with the smell of mothballs, they lose some of their appeal.
To get the mothball smell out of cedar, you will need:
- Baking soda
- Coffee grounds
- A vacuum
- Cedar oil
- Try a simple method first. Open a box of baking soda and place it inside the cedar item with the mothball odor. Allow the baking soda to absorb the smell for several days and see if that does the trick.
- Use other odor-absorbing materials. Coffee grounds, newspapers, and charcoal briquettes all have the ability to absorb odors and may be useful in a cedar trunk, cedar dresser drawers or other small area. Place a small pan of coffee grounds in the affected area and allow the grounds to absorb the offending smell. Wadded up newspapers stuffed into a cedar trunk or drawer should remove mothball odors. A shallow pan of charcoal briquettes works to absorb odors as well. Allow these methods several days to work.
- Use elbow grease. If the simple, odor absorbing methods don't seem to get rid of the lingering mothball smell, use fine grit sandpaper and thoroughly sand all areas of exposed wood to reveal and rejuvenate the cedar. After sanding, vacuum and wipe all surface areas down with a damp cloth to remove cedar dust.
- Use oil of cedar wood. Purchase cedar oil to restore the aroma of cedar after sanding. Apply cedar oil to the wood with a clean cloth.
- Don't give up! With a little time and effort, you should be able to restore the wonderful aroma of cedar to your items.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.