So you have DirecTV and you really aren't utilizing all of its abilities; you will need to know how to cancel DirecTV. Could be that it's just too complicated or, perhaps, the amount of channels you receive for the money you're paying isn't adequate. Or, maybe you've gotten a social life and have no time to surf through hundreds of channels. Whatever the reason, canceling DirecTV can be done in a few short steps, though you will encounter some potholes.
- Determine if the account needs to be canceled or suspended. Canceling DirecTV may not be the best solution for certain customers. If the service will not be used for a long period of time, possibly due to vacation or other long-term event, it can be disconnected or the account can be suspended. Decide which option is best for you.
- Call DirecTV Customer Service. Cancellation or suspension of service cannot be done online or via email. Customers need to call the customer service line for DirecTV between 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. Callers will be prompted for a phone number or their DirecTV account number. This will lead the customer to a voice prompt menu where they can say 'cancel my service' or 'suspend my service' or also opt for 'Customer Service' to speak with a representative.
- Speak with a DirecTV representative. Once transferred to the appropriate department, a Customer Service representative will ask the same questions as the automated menu to confirm that the person they are speaking with is indeed the account holder. They will then proceed to ask why you are canceling service. Be as honest as possible, without getting nasty or angry. The comments provided will help Customer Service determine if there is a trend in account cancellations, and perhaps use this information to make direct changes to what is being reported.
- Obtain the confirmation code. One of the most important tasks is to write down the cancellation code and store it in a safe place should DirecTV come back and say service is still active. If possible, ask the Customer Service rep if they can email the confirmation code to you.
- Make final payments. If there are any outstanding fees after service is canceled they will be charged to the method of payment on the customer account. In addition, an early cancellation fee may be applied if service is stopped in the middle of the initial agreement period–from 12 to 24 months.
- Return the equipment. Once an account is closed it is the obligation of the customer to return all equipment, save for the satellite dish, to a DiercTV location. If they are not returned, then DirecTV can charge $45 per standard receiver, $125 per HD receiver, $175 for per DVR and $225 per HD DVR.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Field Test: LA’s Best Valets Take on the Stingray
There are no wiser men than Hollywood car parkers to gauge the true star power of an automobile...
Liev Schreiber Is a Bit Nicer Than Ray Donovan
With Season 2 underway, the actor explains how he relates to the nefarious character he plays.
Lucy Kicks Ass, Metaphysics, Logic
If you are willing to relax, get on board and tweak your suspension-of-disbelief meter to 11, it’s not the worst way to spend 89 minutes.