Learning how to cancel a Discover card is as easy as following these steps. Does your wallet have way too many credit cards? Do you know that too many credit cards can hurt your credit history? If any of your above answers are yes, and that credit card is with Discover, then this article is definitely for you.
- Understand what canceling a Discover card will mean to you. According to Discover, if you cancel your credit card, all of the following enrollments will be canceled: paperless statement delivery option, make a payment, email reminders and secure online account number.
- Tighten up your loose ends. Paying off your credit card is crucial before canceling your card. If you have any automatic bill pay, make sure you transfer them to a different card.
- Get your paperwork ready. Discover is probably not going to cancel your card without a fight. Make sure you have all the paperwork and your identification ready, including a statement, account number, mother’s maiden name and bill address. Most of these information should be on your statement.
- Cancel your Discover card by phone. On the back of your card, there is a customer service number for Discover card, which is 1-800-DISCOVER (1-800-347-2683). You can use this number to contact them with regards to your Discover card cancellation.
- Cancel your Discover card by mail. Mail a letter to Discover at the following address: Customer Service, Discover Financial Services, P.O. Box 30943, Salt Lake City, UT 84130-0943. Make sure you have your account number on your letter for identification purposes.
- Cancel your Discover card online. Canceling a Discover card online may be the easiest thing to do. There is an online cancellation form on the Discover website. You can find it at the tip section.
You can avoid unnecessary marketing and persuasion if you cancel your Discover card online at this address:
Customer service numbers and addresses are subject to change. Please check the Discover card website before you call or mail them.