How To Cancel A Discover Credit Card
If you want to learn how to cancel a Discover credit card, there are a few things you should know before you do so.
- In order to cancel a credit card, any credit card, including a Discover card, you are going to have to first pay off any remaining balances that you may owe, otherwise the credit card account will still remain open. Canceling a credit card before you pay off the remaining balance is not within your best interest.
- If your balance is fully paid off, you can now call the 800 number located on the back of your card.
- Speak to a service representative over at Discover on the phone, and ask to cancel your card.
- They will try to get you to remain an active customer, so stick to your guns. Let them know why you are canceling, if you are angered by something, or simply just cancel without a reason. It's truly none of their business. Mostly though, people look to cancel credit cards if they are not happy with the service or interest rates they are being charged.
- If you cannot pay off the remaining balance on your Discover card, consider looking to transfer the balance over to another card. If the interest rate is too high, you can look for other options and switch over.
- Once the card is completely cancelled, you can now take a pair of scissors to it, and hack it up into a billion pieces, while wiping your hands clean of it.
Posted on: Aug. 12, 2010