How To Capture Streaming Audio
If you have ever wondered how to capture streaming audio from broadcasts you listen to on your computer, we've got the answer. With the increasing number of streaming audio broadcasts online, there is a great mass of material for you to choose from to capture.
- Download an MP3 recorder. There are many MP3 recorder programs available to download online. Most programs are free or fairly inexpensive. After locating an MP3 recorder, download and install it. Follow the installation prompts after downloading the program to ensure that it is properly installed.
- Close all programs that create noise. Since you are using an MP3 recorder to record sound streaming to your computer, you do not want any other sounds outside of the audio you desire to capture.
- Designate the input source in the MP3 recorder. It's a good idea to set the input source in the program you selected to Stereo Mix.
- Designate either MP3 or WAV for your output information. Also, set the bit rate. For higher quality recordings, choose a higher bit rate. You will also be given the option of setting the directory you which the streaming audio will save to.
- Using the volume control within the program, adjust the sound. The idea is to set the volume where the streaming audio that you are capturing is audible during playback. If the volume is too low or high, the sound may be inaudible or distorted.
- Start recording. Once you have adjusted your settings, it is time to record. Depending on the MP3 recorder you chose, the recording button may be red. After you have finished recording, save your file on your computer in an easily located area.
Capturing streaming audio is not a new concept, but it is one that has come a long way. It sure beats the days of holding down the record and play buttons on a stereo during your favorite radio program.