If you are kegging beer at home, a crucial step is knowing how to carbonate a keg. There are a couple different ways to go about carbonating a keg since kegging is all about convenience and control.
In order to carbonate a keg, you will need:
- Keg of beer
- One third cup corn sugar
- Keg of beer
Natural Carbonation. Naturally carbonating beer by adding corn sugar is a good option for anyone brewing beer who does not want to spend money on the CO2 tank.
- Once the beer is transferred to the keg, you add one third cup sugar for every five gallons brewed.
- Immediately seal the keg. The process should take a couple weeks.
- Some people use different kinds of sugar to carbonate their kegs. It depends on your flavor and texture preference. There is another option to carbonate the keg faster.
Forced Carbonation. A faster approach to carbonating a keg is forced carbonation. This method is preferred by most breweries.
- Before packing the beer, filter and pasteurize it to kill yeast.
- Use the CO2 tank to carbonate the beer. The needed pressure will vary depending on the temperature of the beer. Most kegs are pressurized at 10-12 PSI.
- Put the keg in the fridge. Set the pressure.
- After four days, CO2 will be completely dissolved. Keg carbonation will be complete.
If you find that your beer if a bit overcarbonated, don't worry. You simply turn the CO2 pressure down slightly and release some pressure from the keg. If you have the opposite problem and have undercarbonated the beer, turn the CO2 pressure up.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …