How To Care For A Guinea Pig
Learning how to care for a guinea pig is easy. Guinea pigs make great pets and they are super cute. Guineas are relatively easy to take care of and don’t need a whole lot. They make great pets for kids and have really adorable personalities
In order to care for a guinea pig, you will need:
- A large cage
- Water dispenser
- Cage floor material made out of paper
- Guinea pig food
- Timothy hay and or alfalfa
- Buy a large cage. An ideal cage is at least 30” by 50” for two guinea pigs. Guinea pigs are happiest in a big cage. Guinea pigs may become depressed while living in a small cage.
- Provide guinea pig food every day. Give Timothy hay and alfalfa in addition to promote good health. You should feed new food every day and remove the old food. This will cut down on the mess and odor from guinea pigs.
- Remove cage floor material at least three times per week. Empty out the entire cage and clean with an anti-bacterial spray. Rinse very thoroughly and replace all bedding material. Wipe down water bottles and clean out food dishes.
- Replace water every day and clean out water dishes. Use soap and water to thoroughly clean out water dispenser.
- Take your guinea pig out of his cage everyday for at least an hour. Play with them and let them explore your house. This will help them become very social and enjoy their outdoor time. This can really help prevent guinea pigs from depression.