Learn how to carve a watermelon for any party by following some simple basic tips. Start with an easy design the first time you carve the watermelon. A watermelon basket is an easy design to use for the first time. Find a flat white platter or plate to place the watermelon on after carving so that it is on a decorative platter. A carved watermelon basket is a fun festive food item to have at a spring or summer party.
You will need the following for carving the Watermelon basket:
- A sharp knife
- Stable cutting surface table or counter
- Star cookie cutter
- Melon scoop
- Waterproof magic marker
- Gardening gloves
- Tray or large flat white dish
- Cut pineapple chunks
- Slice 1/4 inch off an oblong watermelon bottom to make a flat stable bottom surface. Make sure the watermelon is room temperature. Place on a large flat white dish or tray. Wear garden gloves when cutting.
- Use a waterproof black magic marker to draw the basket opening and handles on the rind before cutting. Cut the handles first making wide enough to stand out. Draw them in the center of the rind then cut be sure not to cut through rind on the handles.
- Cut with a sharp knife making zigzag cuts through the rind for the basket. Remove the rind and cut the flesh into squares or chunks. Put aside the removed top of watermelon.
- You can cut the flesh inside the basket after the rind is removed.
- Remove the inside of the melon with an ice cream scoop and or melon scoop. Hollow out the whole watermelon. Cut the flesh of the fruit into sections like a fruit salad. Square chunks of watermelon about two to three inches in size are good.
- Make five stars from leftover watermelon rind with a star cookie cutter. Pin the stars to the green basket handles with toothpicks. It creates a design.
- Fill the watermelon basket with watermelon chunks, pineapple and blueberries. Fill to the top.
- Chill the watermelon basket in the refrigerator for several hours. Serve at the party cold.
Tips and Warnings: Carve the watermelon at room temperature. It will be easier. Draw the design first on the rind before cutting with a magic marker or pencil. For a better hold on the knife wear gardening gloves when cutting. Use a sharp knife the sharper the knife the cleaner the cuts. Use toothpicks to mark points in your design after you have drawn it. Always work on a flat surface when cutting.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.