How To Catch A Foul Ball
Want to know how to catch a foul ball? Catching a foul ball can be an intimidating skill to learn in baseball or softball. Foul ball territory can have many obstacles for you to maneuver around so that you can get into position to catch the ball. It is a very important skill because no matter what position you play on the field, you will need to catch a foul ball at some point. Catching a foul ball is one of the most fundamental elements of fielding a ball. Follow these steps to successfully catch a foul ball:
- Keep your eye on the ball. As the hitter swings and the bat makes contact with the ball, you need to follow the trajectory of the ball off the bat. This will help you locate the ball as it is in the air.
- Run to the ball. If you are not in position to catch the ball, you have to get there. Since you are going to be in foul ball territory, be aware of objects such as fences and poles that may be in your way. Move as quickly as possible.
- Get your feet in position. Position your self so that your feet and your body are directly under the ball. Be aware that the wind and the spin on the ball can change the trajectory of the ball at anytime. If the ball does change courses, move your feet so that you are directly underneath the line of the ball.
- Position your hands to catch the ball. Place your gloved hand in the air to catch the foul ball. Your other hand should be used for support. Keep your eye on the ball until it is in your glove. Use your other hand to hold the ball securely in your glove and complete the catch.
- Transfer the ball to your throwing hand. When you catch the ball, you will of course need to throw it back into play. Transfer the ball to your throwing hand and throw the ball as quickly as possible.