Learning how to cater for 500 people is really not that hard. If you are willing to put in a bit of prep work, you can cater for 500 people quite easily. This guide will get you up and going for the group of 500 in no time at all.
Things you'll need
- A menu
- Kitchen/serving staff
- Figure out what type of service the event will have. This will make a big difference when you are catering for a group that is as large as 500 people. A buffet style will allow you batch cook your meals. Serving individual plates will be more time consuming and will require more help. Catering for 500 can be very different when your service options change. Individually preparing 500 plates can be time consuming.
- Set the menu. If you have a client you should consult him/her. If it is your event, go ahead and pick now. When catering for 500 people you will want to make between three and five menu selections.
- Figure out how much help you will need. For fast service you will need to have one server for at least every 25 people or when you are catering for a group of 500 people you will need twenty people to help. Some of your staff should serve the meal and some should be helping you plate the meals. For a buffet you should be able to get by with two assistants. One in the kitchen and one acting as a runner.
- Pre-cook any elements you can. These can be heated up on the day of the event, which will reduce your room for error.
- Plan your service in order. You want to estimate the amount of time each food will need to be served, as well as how long it will take to be prepared and plated. Use this to create a timeline of events. Review this with your help so that you are all on the same page. If your help is cooking with you, you are going to need to divide specific tasks or dishes on the menu. Stick to these plans as best as possible. Catering for 500 will require a lot of precision timing and you don't want to waste time duplicating efforts.
Happy catering for your group of 500!