Generally, deciding how to celebrate retirement is whatever you want it to be. Of course, you’ll want to plan a party of some kind—or someone will want to plan one for you! Celebrating this life event is not just about the party, though. It’s about celebrating what you intend to do once you pass this milestone.
- Party favors and decorations
- A plan for the future
- Make a Guest List Carefully choose the number of people you plan to invite to your special celebration, as well as who you want to see there. Write down the name and address of each so you can fill out the invitations. Purchase as many invitations as you’ll need according to how many people you’ve chosen to help you celebrate, and add a few extra in case you mess one up or remember another guest.
- Decorations and Favors Decide what kind of party favors and decorations you want for your retirement party. You may want to go with a specific theme or color scheme. Or you may want to get friends and family involved in the planning. Favors can be something as simple as a small bucket filled with butter mints and wrapped with tulle, a tulle circle filled with candies and tied with a ribbon, or a votive candle in a clear holder with your name and date of the celebration printed on clear labels and adhered to the front. Decorations may include crepe paper streamers, balloons, confetti, table centerpieces, flowers, etc. Once you know your theme and color choices, purchase the favors and decorations you need well in advance of the date of the party so you’ll know everything is ready beforehand.
- Food & Cake Think about the menu. You could have your guests bring a covered dish if you like. Or, if you prefer, have the menu catered. If so, select a variety of food choices and preferably work with a local caterer to take some of the work off you and your family, so you can better enjoy your day. Whatever you decide, remember that food is only a portion of the celebration and other aspects will make the day just as memorable, so don’t feel guilty if you choose simple finger foods or cake and punch. You will want a cake and it’s best to order it at least two weeks ahead of time. Give the baker specific instructions including colors, lettering, and other details. Plan the size of the cake according to how many guests you’ll be expecting.
- Have Fun! Plan to have a good time at this once-in-a- lifetime event! After all, you’re the guest of honor. Include special activities or games that you and your guests will enjoy. Have a band if you want one or just turn on the CD player. Whatever you choose is what’s right. Enjoy this special day the way you prefer.
- The Future Knowing what your plans are for the future will help you better enjoy your retirement. Think about what you would like to be doing with your time after you actually stop working. Maybe you want to start a small business. Or, perhaps you would enjoy participating in your local church more. What about doing some type of volunteer work? Or taking up a new hobby? Whatever you decide, plan to stay active. Allow for plenty of exercise and plenty of rest. Join a senior citizens center that offers a variety of fun things to do as well as opportunities to meet new friends and experience new things.
- Your Health The best way to celebrate retirement is to take care of your health. The more healthy you are, the more you’ll enjoy your retirement and the life that follows it. Sadly, some people quit living after they quit working, but that doesn’t have to be! Keep your body and your mind active and enjoy your “golden years.” That’s how to celebrate retirement to the limit!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…