Need to know how to change a battery in a water resistant watch? The most water resistant watches will have a screwed down case back and crown for maximum water resistance, both of which are backed by internal gaskets. These are the types this articlde will concentrate on.
To change the battery in a water resistant watch you will need:
- Adjustable case tool
- Case holder
- Small screw driver
- Polishing cloth
- Cotton gloves
- Small tweezers
- Plastic tweezers
- Soft clean cloths
- Battery tester
- Paper cup
- Place the watch in case holder. Place the watch in the case holder, if you have one. If you do not, place it on a soft cloth.
- Check for room to work. Check to see if there is room to attach the adjustable case wrench and rotate it 360 degrees. If not remove watch band.
- Remove case back. Fit the adjustable case wrench into the slots on the case back. Tighten it down until it is snug. Be careful not to slip with this tool as it can scratch the case back of your watch. Work slowly. When it is unscrewed gently pry up the case back taking great care not to damage the internal gasket. If the gasket gets damaged it will need to be replaced with the battery to retain water resistance.
- Remove battery. The battery will be held in place by some type of retention device. It will need to be removed. Some clips will be removed by using tweezers. Some clips may be moved using a screw driver, and some simply bend out of the way slightly. Remember how it was removed as it must be put back in place exactly for the circuit to be completed after battery change. If the clip is removed, place it and any screws in a paper cup to prevent loss. Remember how the battery was seated, plus (positive) side up or down etc. it needs to be replaced correctly to work.
- Test battery. Using the battery tester check the battery. If it is dead move to next step, if it is not take the watch to a jewelers for inspection.
- Clean and inspect battery box. Inspect the battery box the battery came out of. If there is corrosion take it to jewelers for inspection. If there is light dust it may be cleaned with a clean soft cloth.
- Buy battery. Use the numbers on the battery and buy a new one. Occasionally the number will be obsolete and you will be referenced to a replacement battery in the battery charts. This is the time to also replace the gasket if you need to. Check with a watch maker or jeweler, or the watch company to buy a replacement. We cannot stress enough how important this gasket is to a water resistant watch, without its integrity your fine watch may no longer be resistant.
- Replace battery. Using the plastic tweezers if you have them, or fingers wearing cotton gloves, replace the battery. Never use bare fingers as finger oils may corrode or short out the new battery. Carefully replace the retention device as it was remove.
- Replace case back. Make sure that the gasket is in place, and not pinched or caught in the case back when you set it in place. Screw down the case back using your fingers until it is tight and needs the case wrench. Attach case wrench as before and tighten down the case back.
- Reset and clean watch. Using the appropriate method reset the watch. Use the polishing cloth to clean off any dirt and finger prints.
There, you have successfully replaced the battery in your water resistant watch. It should serve you faithfully for another few years.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…