There are times when you need to know how to change the CV Joints on your 1996 Honda Civic. On a front-wheel drive Honda, there can sometimes be a clicking or grinding sound when turning the steering wheel on full lock. This is indicative of a constant velocity (CV) joint failing, which the most common way of it happening is a split rubber boot letting in dirt, water or dust which ruins the joint. Here is how to replace one:
What You'll Need:
- Socket Set
- Breaker Bar
- First of all, apply the parking brake, choke the rear wheels and loosen the wheel lug nuts a little. Jack up the front end of the car, secure it on axle stands and take off the wheel.
- You'll notice there are metal tabs or a pin, depending on which Honda you drive, that stakes or holds the center spindle nut on. Bend the tabs or pin back and remove it. Undo the center spindle nut with a large socket. You can run a breaker bar between the lugs to stop the hub from moving when you start to undo it.
- For easier access, remove the lower control arm by undoing the steering knuckle bolt. You can use a drift or a screwdriver to force the pin out which releases the tension and you will see the CV boot. There is a special tool called a tie-rod end puller, but if you don't have one, brute force is needed.
- Prise the steering arm from the knuckle with a breaker bar.
- The drive shaft can then be pulled out of the transmission. Clean up the threaded ends and now it is ready for the new CV joint. Do not reuse the old CV boot, a new one is very cheap and it should match the age of the CV joint.
- Remember when you refit all of the parts, that you will need a new cotter pin or locking tabs for the hub nut. You will also need the alignment checked as you have altered the steering knuckle placement.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
25 Rules of Style Every Man Should Follow
Wear by them.