How To Change Default Web Browser
With most pre-configured PCs set-up with Internet Explorer (IE) as the default web browser, many people want to know how to change default web browser. After a few days of using IE, many users opt to download and use something else but fail to make the new browser the default browser. Changing the default web browser is a fairly simple task. It can either be changed within the window of the browser or by using the Control Panel in Windows.
Firefox is fast becoming the browser of choice for many. Users can customize Firefox to block ads and scripts; instantly translate web pages; and search for and watch television from within the Firefox browser. To make Firefox the default browser:
- GO TO www.mozilla.com to download Firefox; install, and open the browser.
- Click TOOLS on the navigation pane, and a drop down menu appears.
- Click OPTIONS. A window appears, with several choices.
- Click ADVANCED (last choice on the right), and navigate to the SYSTEM DEFAULTS section.
- Click the CHECK NOW button and a dialogue box appears that gives the option of making Firefox the default browser, choose YES.
- Click OK. Firefox is now the default browser.
- Go to www.apple.com/safari to download the Safari browser; install, and open the browser.
- Click the GEAR GRAPHIC (last graphic on the right side) on the navigation pane; a drop down menu appears.
- Click PREFERENCES. A new window appears with a list of options. Navigate to the first item DEFAULT WEB BROWSER.
- Click the DOWN ARROW, choose the new default browser, and CLICK the red “X” to close out the window. Safari is now the default browser.
Internet Explorer (IE) is preloaded on all PCs running the Windows operating system and is set as the default browser. In some cases (Microsoft.com for example), it is the only browser that works without errors. If you find you want return to IE as the default browser:
- Go to www.microsoft.com, and download Internet Explorer; install, and open the browser.
- Click TOOLS on the navigation pane and a drop down menu appears.
- Click INTERNET OPTIONS and a window with several tabs will appear.
- Click the PROGRAMS tab, and the first section of the tab will tell you if your default web browser is currently IE.
- Click MAKE DEFAULT to choose IE as the default browser.
- Click APPLY, and then OK. IE is now the default browser.
Windows Control Panel is yet another way to set the default web browser. This method is especially helpful for setting permissions for each browser residing on your computer. For example, through Windows Control Panel, Safari can be set open video links, and Firefox image links. To choose the default browser:
- Click on the START button. The Start menu appears.
- Click CONTROL PANEL from the list on the right side of the Start menu. A window with several options appears. Navigate to DEFAULT PROGRAMS.
- Double-click DEFAULT PROGRAMS, and a page titled “Choose the programs Windows uses by default” appears.
- Click SET YOUR DEFAULT PROGRAMS, and from the list that appears, choose the web browser, and then SET THIS PROGRAM AS DEFAULT.
- Click OK. Default browser is now set.