Need to know how to change a front axle on a Jeep Grand Cherokee? The Jeep Grand Cherokee is a four-wheel drive vehicle, and yours may one day need its front axle changed. The front axle delivers the engine's power to the front wheels, as well as the rear via the transmission and transfer boxes. Focusing on the front axle, if you need to swap it out, here is the procedure to do so. It is a little challenging, but being methodical and patient when you work on your Jeep will get the job done.
To change a front axle on a Jeep Grand Cherokee, you will need:
- A tire wrench
- Axle stands
- A trolley jack
- A spindle nut socket
- A socket wrench
- A socket set
- Zip ties
- An impact wrench or breaker bar
- A tie-rod end puller
- A flathead screwdriver
- A new cotter pin
- To change the front axle on your Jeep Grand Cherokee, first apply the parking brake and hand brake. Loosen the front wheel lug nuts by 45 degrees. Jack up the car and secure it on axle stands. Remove the road wheels.
- Loosen and remove the brake caliper bolts, securing the caliper to the suspension leg. Make sure the rubber brake hose is not taking the weight of the caliper. Remove the center spindle bolt using a socket wrench.
- Pull the whole brake assembly, with rotor and hub, off the vehicle. Use the pliers to pull the cotter pin out of the drive-shaft bolt. Use an impact wrench or a breaker bar to remove the drive-shaft nut. Loosen the tie-rod end bolt using a socket wrench and lift the hub and steering joint away from the axle and drive-shaft.
- Pull the axle out of the wheel hub, which will then make it easier to pull it out from the transmission unit. If this is difficult to do, turn it slightly to line up the splines and use a flathead screwdriver to pry it out.
- Fit the new front axle to your Jeep Grand Cherokee by reversing the process. However, remember to apply some grease to the snap ring on the new axle. This will allow the axle stub to glide into the transmission unit much easier. Do not re-use the old cotter pin; use a new one and bend it over the bolt head. Refit your Jeep's wheels and lower off the axle stands. Tighten up the lug nuts with the wheels on the pavement.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
25 Rules of Style Every Man Should Follow
Wear by them.