How To Change Grips On Motorcycle Handlebars
Do you need to know how to change grips on motorcycle handlebars? If you are ready for a new look, or simply need to replace a worn set of handlebar grips, replacing the grips on your motorcycle's handlebars is fairly easy.
To change the grips on motorcycle handlebars, you will need:
- New grips
- A flathead screwdriver
- Adhesive remover
- A soft shop towel
- Grip adhesive
- With the flathead screwdriver, carefully remove the ends of your motorcycle's handlebars. Go slowly here; you do not want to strip the threads.
- Again using the flathead, carefully pry the old grips off of your motorcycle. Be careful to slip the screwdriver between the grips and the handlebar; you do not want to damage anything else in the process.
- Apply a small amount of adhesive remover to the shop towel. Work the remaining glue loose until you can see no more remnants of the glue. If you need a little more than the adhesive remover, you can use a utility knife with a razor edge to carefully get to rest of the glue off your motorcycle.
- Work the new grips around in your hands a few times to make them pliable. Roll the grips carefully in your palms to make them warm and easier to slip onto the handlebars. Soaking the grips in a little warm water will accomplish the same thing.
- Apply the grip adhesive to the handlebars. Add the grip glue to the place you will slide the new grips on. Use the glue sparingly; only apply enough to make the grips stick. Too much will ooze out and create a mess.
- Slide the new grip into place. One at a time, place the grips over the applied adhesive. Wipe up any excess glue quickly with the damp shop towel.
- Once the glue has dried for an hour or two, replace the ends of the handlebars. Work carefully with the handlebars; do not over-tighten the end screws.
Be sure you allot enough time for the glue to dry before you take the bike out for another spin. Test the new grips adequately to be sure they are not going to slip when you are in motion. If you do use a razor blade to remove the old adhesive, take special care not to nick the chrome handlebars.