Want to know how to change a hard drive from one computer to another? This is a rather easy process. A lot simpler then imagined.
To change a hard drive from one computer to another, you will need:
- screw driver
- if possible an anti-static mat.
Steps to Change a hard drive from one computer to another.
- Unplug the monitor, power cable, mouse, keyboard and any other connections to the back of the desktop before opening the computer case.
- Open You will need to know how to open up the computer case and take caution when it comes to electrostatic electricity to the chips inside the computer. To find how to open the case you can go to the manufacturers website on instructions on how to open your particular case.
- Compatibility Either the computer will connect to the hard drive using an IDE cable or a Sata cable. You will have to verify that both machines are compatible and that their connections are the same.
- Unplug the IDE/Sata cable
- Unplug the power cable
- Unscrew the hard drive from the metal casing
- Open up the other computer case
- Locate an open spot to place the hard drive in the metal bracket casing
- Connect the IDE/Sata cable. Note: The red line on the IDE cable means it connects to pin 1. Make sure the red line aligns with pin 1 or the hard drive could be ruined.
- Next connect the power cable to the hard drive.
- Screw the hard drive in the metal casing to keep it from moving around
- Put the case panel back on
- Plug the monitor, keyboard, mouse and power cord in the desktop/workstation
- Power on and see your new hard drive working
Note: If this is a secondary hard drive you will have to go into the bios of the system and turn on detection so the bios will read the new hard drive. If this is just a swap out nothing will need to be done to the bios.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
21 Hairstyles Women Love
Female experts reveal the ’dos that drive them wild.
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.